Sunday, April 18, 2010

Grassroots Networking

Hey all. I haven't had the chance to post anything for a while. My master's degree action research paper is just about done, and it has been taking the majority of my free time.

I got an email a while back, when the Herald ran the story about the blog.
Hi. Read about your story in The Daily Herald and found the blog. Good stuff.

Nature Ridge has taken the biggest elementary school cuts, yet we’re the 2nd most overcrowded school in the district. Very typical of the logic in this whole mess, eh? If you’re interested, a few of us have been trying to fight the good fight this whole year via social media channels. Check out our page if you get a chance and feel free to follow along as we fight for the future of our kids at our little school.

Thanks,
Bob Skwarek

You can visit Nature Ridge's Facebook page here. Basically it is a place for parents and neighbors to share information with each other concerning the school and the district. The are also promoting a rally at South Elgin High School.

I think things like this really show the power of social media. Blogs and networking sites really can be an avenue for social change. There is a real chance to get a voice heard. Forming online communities like this are more important than ever. I encourage everyone inspired by what Bob has done to set up your own groups to promote discussion, spread information, and promote social change.

Well done parents of Nature Ridge.

On a side note, I have been invited to also blog on Huffington Post. You can visit my blog there as well (fan me if you could, I'd like to feel popular!). Currently, I just re-posting much of what has been done here to reach that audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment